Victoria College of Art COVID-19 Safety Plan
VCA prioritizes the health of our staff, instructors, students, and visitors. Our Safety Plan aims to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as we carefully and gradually return to class.
First and foremost, our team will continue to monitor any COVID-19 developments and follow the guidance from the Provincial Health Officer, WorkSafe BC, the Go-Forward Guidelines for the postsecondary sector and the WorkSafe BC Guidelines for returning to in-person activities. The COVID-19 pandemic is constantly changing, and we will be updating our policies and protocols accordingly as circumstances dictate.
Our campus in Victoria will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. as of September 1, 2021, to limited staff and students; any applicants are by appointment only. Meanwhile, all classes will take place online.
The COVID-19 vaccine is free and is currently available to everyone over the age of 12 in Canada. You can register for the vaccine by clicking here.
Under new requirements for air travel that took effect on February 22, 2021, when a student arrives in Canada, they must take a COVID-19 test before leaving the airport and spend 3 days in quarantine at a federal government-authorized hotel. With a clear test result, the student can proceed to the quarantine site identified in their quarantine plan. Ten days into their quarantine, the student will use a take-home test provided at their arrival in Canada. A further clear result is required before leaving quarantine at 14 days. The student must also have downloaded the ArriveCAN app to submit their travel and contact information, their quarantine plan, and do a COVID-19 symptoms self-assessment test.
For more information relating to arrving in Canada and the necessary quarantine procedures click here.
For a list of government-authorized hotels for mandatory quarantine click here.
Please find our complete COVID-19 Safety Plan here.
For our location, we have implemented the following protocols.
- Prior to coming in, everyone must conduct a self-assessment online. If any of the following COVID-19 symptoms are present, we ask you not to come in and seek medical consultation. We will cancel or reschedule your appointment by phone.
- When a student arrives in Canada, they must take a COVID-19 test before leaving the airport and spend 3 days in quarantine at a federal government-authorized hotel. With a clear test result, the student can proceed to the quarantine site identified in their quarantine plan. Ten-days into their quarantine, the student will use a take-home test provided at their arrival in Canada. A further clear result is required before leaving quarantine at 14 days. Details on these requirements, and the requirements for travelers arriving at land border crossings, are available online. Click here.
- Additionally, please do not come to VCA if you have any of the following symptoms:
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath
- New muscle aches or headache
- Sore throat
- Travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days
- Close contact of a person who tested positive for COVID-19.
Symptoms can range from mild to severe. Most people with COVID-19 have mild illness, but symptoms can sometimes suddenly worsen in a few days. People infected with COVID-19 can also experience gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and vomiting a few days after the onset of the above symptoms. To ensure the safety of our staff, we require everyone to bring a mask or face covering. It must be worn for the duration of the visit in our building. All visitors are encouraged to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer provided at reception. Physical distancing (of 2 meters or 6 feet) is mandatory. Signage is posted in the building with capacity limits for each classroom, common areas and office.
In addition, everyone is expected to practice the Core Measures for Personal Self-care to reduce transmission:
- No handshaking
- Practice good hygiene (frequent handwashing with soap and water and use of hand sanitizers, avoid touching your face, respiratory etiquette, disinfect frequently touched surfaces)
- Always maintain social distancing of two meters upon arrival, during meal breaks and on departure.
A Pre-Arrival Guide for International Students and Arrival Plan has been created to manage all arriving international students. The federal guidance is to implement a 14-day quarantine requirement for all International students in compliance with the Quarantine Act.
The Victoria College of Art is committed to reducing the risk from COVID-19 for our students, staff members, and community at large. For more information on this, please consult our Risk Reduction Plan.
If an outbreak has been detected, we have also created a Contingency Plan.
COVID-19 Visitor Log VCA COVID 19 Safety Plan
All staff, students, and visitors are required to complete a temperature check.
Please walk towards the temperature check device and follow the steps.
All visitors to the College must register and complete the COVID-19 screening checklist.
VCA COVID19 – International Student Check In Sheet
Please download, print and complete our International Student Check In Sheet
The Vice President of Administration, Nancy Ruffolo, will ensure compliance with this plan.
● Phone: (250)-598-5422
● Email: email@example.com